Εβδομάδα 41: τέλος pandora ;)

Hey guys!

So ya'll can ignore the title it's an inside joke between us Greek speakers and the elders in our district haha. Love them and Greeklish ;)

A little bit of a situation over here... a lice outbreak in our branch! Sister Vennerholm and I were luckily able to detect the source of the issue and address it but we are still a little nervous about how much it has spread being that our branch is pretty huggy and really close. BUT sister V and I have been extra precautions and determined to not let it get to us! So far so good so wish us some extra luck! Apparently it's normal for people to have lice here and they don't really do anything about it, nor think it's an issue... super NOT okay in our opinions haha.

Besides that our week was great! I love serving with Sister Vennerholm, she is literally my best friend and we can have fun together while actually getting to work! Best of both worlds! She's also now 80/20 set on applying to the BYUs versus going to England for college! I may or may not have had a decently good influence on her these past 2 weeks haha ;) once again, President Anderson was inspired to put us together. 

The Macedonia missionaries came down to Thessaloniki for their p-day so we had lunch with them which was fun! It's really cool having 5 countries in our mission but also sad since we never see the other missionaries (Albanian and Macedonian speaking ones). It still feels like the Greece, Athens mission vs the Adriatic South mission half the time even though we merged last year. So we're extra grateful when we get to know the other missionaries! All but 2 outta 12 were from the states! Which is also way weird since majority of the Greek speaking missionaries here are European! So that was weird having so many Americans in one place again.

Okay so Brother Todi... aka the cutest and smallest older Greek/Albanian man you will ever meet. He's about 4 ft tall and his laugh is the best thing ever. Most contagious laugh I've ever heard! He uses the children's stool every time he bears his testimony and ya can't help but just smile when you're with him. Another thing about Brother Todi....he LOVES to cook. But his food isn't always the greatest and we've been warned by previous missionaries and other members to "stay clear of Brother Todi's food!"  Well he invited the missionaries over with some of our friends because he wanted to feed us lunch this week. He made us his signature Greek dish σπανακοτιρόπιτα (spinach-cheese pie), and we couldn't really avoid it. I was trying to nibble it down but at one point I couldn't stop coughing and Brother Todi asked if I needed water, which I quickly accepted, and while he was getting that I took my only opportunity and quickly wrapped the remainder of the dish up in a napkin and successfully slid it in my bag. I think this is only the 2nd time I've done this on my mission haha, but some of the food I really just can't do. No matter how much I try to force myself to like it.

We taught Δημήτρης (Dimitris) basically everyday this week since he still wants to get baptized. Our miracle friend continues to be a miracle investigator! We were able to involve the members in majority of the lessons we had which was such a blessing. I LOVE having members help teach! It's 10Xs better having a Greek teach a Greek. 1) because they speak Greek perfect and 2) they understand their background in a way we could never relate to and they can explain specific topics so clearly and understandable. Δημήτρης has received all the missionary lessons now, feels that he has received a confirmation of the Restoration and the Book of Mormon, and is on track for his baptismal date goal! We still want to make sure he fully understands everything and don't want to rush anything since it hasn't even been 2 weeks since we met him. Everything is looking good with him tho! I've been able to bear my testimony so many times throughout this week and I love it. I have been able to recognize and feel the gift of tongues as I've born testimony to him and it is such an incredible feeling. I can feel the spirit speaking right through me. It is SO crazy to me that just a little bit ago while I was in Cyprus we didn't didn't teach a single person in Greek but now we only teach in Greek. Man have the tables turned. My testimony of the gift of tongues has been strengthened 10 fold this last week and I know that it is only given to us to be able to bring the gospel to every nation in their own tongue and that none of us would be able to learn a foreign language as quickly as we do without the help of our Father in Heaven. It is HIS work we are doing.

We've been able to help the Chapis family clean up this super rundown place they've bought for a shop they that's been sitting collecting dust and garbage for 10 YEARS. It was not a pretty site whatsoever. The elders and us spent a few of our mornings filing holes in the wall, pulling out old nails outta the cracked cement walls, and painting the soon to be opened family shop. It has been a lot of work, but service we willingly do! Plus who'd say no to getting to paint?! Its been a pretty enjoyable task for all of us. Different than the norm. Hopefully we'll get to help out more this next week and see their shop really come together!
It's been great to be busy again and see the fruits of our labors. The work here is hard, but every day is so worth it.

Love you all! Have the greatest week!

Love,
Sister Gale

PICS!
1-3 service @the Chapis' shop for a few days
Macedonia sisters came to visit
βόλτα with the youth
6-7 we love Brother Todi!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNTDOWN

Εβδομάδα 14: dried watermelon and promising investigators (;

Eβδομάδα 5: "I want to be a verb!"