Εβδομάδα 53: Sea slugs n cigarettes Ugh..."I am Mormoni"

Hit 1 year since I left home sweet home this Wednesday! Wowza, fastest year of my life by far. I mean, I still don't know what I'm doing, but if there's one thing I know for sure it's that our Savior, our big brother, Jesus Christ, lives. My testimony of Him, and His divinity, has been magnified and strengthened in ways I could have never imagined these past 365 days. I love my mission and I love my Heavenly Father for letting me serve Him!

I took Sister Ahlström to meet Γιώργος this week! We asked him if he had been sharing what he'd been learning from us and the Book of Mormon with his daughters, one of which is in Athens and the other in Μύκονος. His response was pretty funny. He tells us that the people in Μύκονος wouldn't listen to the message we were sharing because they are so wicked it's basically hell. So uh yeah, that escalated quickly haha. It's kinda sad when we continually meet with people who aren't progressing and they feel like another eternal investigator. We find ourselves questioning if they even want to learn. I guess that's just when you just suck it up and keep going and have faith God has a plan and it'll work out as long as we do our part. So I asked Γιώργος what he would do if he knew what we were teaching and the Book of Mormon was true. He answered saying he'd read the Book of Mormon, actively attend church, and do everything he needed to to show his faith. He's been reading the Book of Mormon each night and praying so we committed him to again ask God if what he was learning and reading was true and then act on that answer.

Youssef is doing awesome. He actually wants to be an Arabic teacher at the Provo MTC, only problem is he needs to become a member first! So we're praying his papers get here soon. He opened up a lot this week and shared some very personal things about his life that I could never imagine going through. When I say someone's had it rough, he sure has. I am so glad he is where he is now, especially spiritually. His story is a real testimony to me that the Savior is the ONLY one who can truly heal us because he is the only one who understands. As much as we wish to take the pain and hardships that are incomprehensible to us that Youssef has gone through, it can only be lifted by the One who has felt it all.

We heart-attatcked a handful of our members for Valentine's day and it was so much fun! They all absolutely loved it, especially the ones who we saw their reaction because they caught us haha. I love giving others a reason to smile and laugh, it makes me so happy! On Thursday morning we went into beach cleaning mode with the elders and left that place 20 garbage bags cleaner than before. These beaches have a lot of potential if the people would just maintain them! This is actually our only service opportunity we have besides teaching language classes right now so we'll be doing this more often. There were a few people who stopped to ask us what we were doing. Some thanked us and others would sarcastically comment "good luck" basically saying there's no point in trying because it won't get better. But we're just out here trying our best to do what Christ would do and serve the Greeks by giving them a cleaner beach so your welcome I guess?? Oh yeah, the elders threw a sea slug in my hair because they thought it would be funny, that was nasty stuff. Not as nasty as some of the stuff we were picking up but still, pretty gross. And then a lady smoking was walking by, asked what we we doing, continued on her way, and then threw her cigarette in the ground. Ugh, normal I woulda said something but I held my tongue, so thanks lady for helping us out lol, giving us a reason to be here.

My uncle Joe came for a visit so I got to see him which was super fun! And weird, but mostly cool. Of course I made sure he got to taste a real Greek gyro... or 2... and then some μπουγάτσα, another classic delicacy here. We took a walk down along the sea and were stopped by the Africans who alwaysss stop and to try and give us bracelets for money, and they asked if Joe and I were husband and wife haha, so that was funny stuff. And even more funny trying to convince em he's my uncle. He also came to church on Sunday and I got to translate for him which was really weird cus all of a sudden I'm speaking this crazy language! So our sacrament meeting program is never fully planned out and our branch President will randomly call on people to pray and Joe was a lucky winner yesterday and got asked to give the closing prayer. Hey at least now he can say he prayed in a Greek branch! Not very many can ;)

I had a little video call with Jhoe to follow up on some invitations we had asked him to do previously. So I asked Jhoe bout his peeps back home cus I invited him to share what he'd been learning recently and he said they all had their own religion. So I asked him what religions and he told me born again, protestant, or catholic. So I thought to ask him, "well what do you consider yourself?", and he said "I am Mormoni" haha and he'd tell his friends about his "new religion" when he goes home. Apparently a friend of his friend back home tried having him read the BoM previously before but he declined. Then came round 2 when I met him and he decided to say yes and learn. I also asked him what he considered himself before learning about the church and he said, "I was independent because I didn't believe what the other church's taught." I found that really cool that now Jhoe is able to recognize truth.

Another pretty sweet thing. So I taught the Chapi girls "Παντοτινά θα μαστ' ενωμένοι" (families can be together forever) this week and we sung it together during sacrament meeting! Each of us bore a short little testimony about our families and it was really cute to hear theirs. Little kids testimonies are always some of my favs. Singing this with the girls was really special, especially having my uncle be in church. I love my family and the knowledge we have of being sealed together for eternity ♡

I am so grateful we are studying the Book of Mormon for Come Follow Me this year! A thought brought up yesterday was if we carry your Book of Mormon around like you carry your cell phone? That hit me really powerfully. I thought of two other questions, 1. Do you need your Book of Mormon the way you need your cell phone? And 2. Do you use your Book of Mormon the way you use your cell phone?

I want to always have a Book of Mormon with me. I want to use it like I use my phone. After reading and studying the Book of Mormon I can proudly say that I can sign my name next to the three witnesses. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I can not deny how I feel when reading the Book of Mormon. I still remember the day I received my witness from the Spirit that it is true. I am so grateful I chose to serve a mission because of the opportunities that I now have to share this life changing book. I often wonder what it would be like to have no knowledge of the Book of Mormon then for it to suddenly come into my life. But then I remember I don't need to question what it would be like because I get to witness what happens to the other people as they read the book for the first time. 

Τα λέμς everyone, love y'all!

Love,
Sister Gale

PICS!!
1-2 Uncle Joe came for the weekend!
3-4 beach cleanup duty :) 

5-6 Valentine's day heart attacking!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNTDOWN

I MADE IT!!

Εβδομάδα 14: dried watermelon and promising investigators (;