Εβδομάδα 44: Γλυκό είναι το Έργο! ♡

This was a special week of my mission. One that will be hard to forget! The biggest reason being that Sister Vennerholm and I got to be witnesses for not just one but TWO precious baptisms! History was made and Sister Vennerholm and I got to be the 1st sisters to witness a baptism in Greece!

Also 2 funny things:
1. We had our branch Christmas party and Λούκας, the Tanto's family's toddler, pulled down the Christmas tree as the closing prayer was being said
2. A band decided to have band practice below our apartment building during sacrament meeting so we had "eye of the tiger" playing throughout the entire meeting haha

We have started teaching a new friend this week! Her name is Κυριακή (Kiki for short). She feels like a grandma to us honestly and is so kind. She has previously taken the discussions from missionaries a few years back and absolutely LOVES the prophet Joseph Smith. I have never seen anyone with a testimony stronger than hers about him. And I'm convinced she knows more than we know about him haha. The most important thing tho is that just as much as she loves Joseph Smith, she loves the Book of Mormon. She's read it and knows it's true. Her knowledge about the gospel of Jesus Christ is for the most part accurate but kinda dipped in Orthodoxy a bit. We were very impressed by her knowledge and it's almost as if she's already a member but we have a few things we need to make clear up first. First one is not worshiping Joseph Smith, but instead respecting him as a prophet of God. Kiki also requested that sisters teach her because she didn't like the elders who 1st taught her haha, so bonus for us because she's awesome! She already wants to give a talk about the sacrament in sacrament meeting and will be praying about a baptismal date so we'll be following up with her on that!

Brigitta just turned 8 and was baptized on Sunday! We had to postpone her baptism a day because the weather wasn't cooperating. And I'm so glad we did! The sun came out for the day, it was warm again, zero wind, zero rain, blue skies, still, calm water, and simply perfect. Watching her be baptized cannot be described in words. She chose Elder Harrop to baptize her and it was the most tender, delicate, and precious experience I have had on my mission. There is something about little children's baptisms that are just so special. We love Brigitta and are so grateful to have been able to witness her beautiful day. Also, it's so cute whenever we see her because she calls us "Barbie με άσπρα μαλλιά και Barbie με μαύρα μαλλιά" (Barbie with white hair and Barbie with black hair)!! Ahh she is adorable!

On Thursday, we had the incredible special privilege of watching our friend Δημήτρης be baptized. The day was especially memorable because it seemed mother nature was not willing to cooperate and it was COLD (especially the sea) and then the wind and rain didn't make it any better haha, but we endured! It has been so cool to watch him develop his own testimony and progress the past 5 weeks. He already had a strong testimony and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, but he knew there was something missing. He found what he was missing in the fullness of Christ's restored church! Sister Vennerholm and I had the opportunity to be the witnesses at the baptism. As witnesses you make sure the baptism is performed correctly and the right words are spoken. I never realized how sacred and significant this role was until this week. As Κωνσταντίνος said the baptismal prayer, a word was missed. We corrected him and the baptism was done again, this time with a perfect prayer and no mistakes, completing the baptism. It was such a special moment. You can see the joy of it in the pictures that were taken. Those 5 minutes in the water are of eternal significance!

As I pondered on the importance of the words spoken during the baptism I was reminded of an extremely important truth. How absolutely perfect the baptismal prayer must be for it to count. There isn't room for mistakes or slip ups when it comes to ordinances. I specifically was thinking about the 1st part of the prayer, the phrase, "having been commissioned of Jesus Christ". This is the difference between ours and all other churches. We don't just baptize people, we baptize under HIS commission through priesthood authority. We don't just go to foreign lands and teach some gospel, we go under HIS command, where HE assigns us, and teach HIS gospel. We don't work to establish just any church on the earth, we work constantly to establish HIS church on the earth. We are not here to just pass the time, have some fun, and speak lightly about our beliefs. We are here to bring people the knowledge of SAVING ORDINANCES. Promises and acts that have an ETERNAL significance. There is no other means whereby man can be saved!!

It reminds me of a quote by Elder Holland. He is paraphrasing what the Lord may have been expressing to his disciples near the Sea of Tiberias. He paraphrases,
"I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world."
I know this is the work of the Almighty God because I have learned it for myself. You can know it too. I love this work!

Also side note: Sister Vennerholm and I found out this week we'd be staying together for 7 more weeks!!! We totally thought we'd have to be split up (especially since sis V has already been here 6 months) so its a Christmas miracle!! So so happy and excited, I love her! 
Γλυκό είναι το Έργο!
Αδελφή Γκεϊλ

PICS!! (Pt 1)
1-11 Brigitta's baptism!!
PICS!! (Pt 2)
12-15 Δημήτρης baptism!!





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNTDOWN

Εβδομάδα 14: dried watermelon and promising investigators (;

Eβδομάδα 5: "I want to be a verb!"