Εβδομάδα 59: holdin down the fort..Nice doggie...treat treat?

Long story short I'm now in Athens. All the Thessaloniki missionaries got emergency transferred Tuesday morning because we got put on a national lockdown and President Anderson didn't wants us 5 missionaries to be stranded in Northern Greece without a way to get out because everything was still up in the air of whether or not we'd all be getting sent home.

I had been mentally preparing myself for a call telling us we'd be going home, but even a call telling us we needed to get outta Thess asap, I don't think I was actually ready for. Gosh that one hurt. I never thought it'd be so hard to leave my area. I love these members. And it's breaking my heart not knowing when I'll see em again. I was talking to the Tantos and started crying when I was telling them we'd all be leaving. And blessed Sister Manuela and President Tanto were just comforting me telling me I should be proud of what I have done and I shouldn't be sad. That I've loved the people, I've served and done what the Lord asked, and they will never forget the Sister Gale they were blessed to know. Hearing them tell me this made my heart ache even more, and I couldn't hold back any tears. This has been my area for nearly 8 months, these are my people. So many experiences I've had here have shaped me into the person I am today and everything I have experienced will forever be a part of who I've become.

Transfers just happened last week but companionships got switched up when we got to Athens. I will now be serving with Sister Stillo. She's actually the 1st sister to leave on a mission from Greece and was originally in NYC but got reassigned here. So now I've got a native comp which no other missionary has ever had. Talk about language skills.... maybe I'll actually come back fluent in Greek. I'm telling her she can only speak to me in Greek. I'll hate it but be thankful later. I'll be opening a new area (until further notice) and training. Not sure what to think, but I have faith everything will work out and be okay. Plus we're quarantined still so we can't do much anyways. Either way, just gotta stay positive. Side note: our new apartment has a heck of an angry German Shepard, that I swear would rip us apart if it got off its metal chain. It freaks out every time we are out and we have to sneak by him every time we walk up to our door.

Things did level out Tuesday afternoon when we got the news that despite most other missions sending their missionaries back to their home countries, Europe is sticking it out... for now. Hopefully it stays that way. This is still the Lord's work and He carries it onward regardless. So we're holding the fort down in Greece, just the 17 of us. The line from the hymn, "Let us all Press On" that says, "we will not retreat, though our numbers may be few" couldn't be more fitting for the emotions or our current situation. We aren't gonna give up and will continually press forward as long as the Lord allows us to.

We had another mission wide video conference Q&A with President and Sister Anderson and were informed one of the reasons the quorum of the 12 is allowing us to stay is because they feel it is safer for us to remain in "shelter in place" mode in our countries, some of which are more safe than our home nations now. Also that they predict our quarantine will last and continue for the most part of April. Ayeee that's a long time. 

So far we've been filling our time with the normal studies, basketball with the elders, teaching Jhoe or Tony via video calls here and there, and then we were put in charge of translating the Book of Mormon videos into Greek so that's been real exciting. That was sarcastic btw, Greek is still hard. We are also still in charge of taking care of Thessaloniki so we also stay in contact with members and have phone call lessons with less actives as often as we can.

I did have to do some reevaluating this week though. I got caught up in a lot of "This is not how MY mission was supposed to go... This is not what I had envisioned.... I, I, I, I, I," so many thoughts about ME!!! So naturally, I had to do some soul searching and humble myself. This isn't my work I'm doing. It's His. He called me to this mission at this time KNOWING that I would go through exactly this. I trust him. I love Him. I love His work. And I am so grateful to still be doing it.

I read a talk the other day, "Swallowed Up in The Will of The Father" and I loved this quote.
"Since the Most Innocent suffered the most, our own cries of “Why?” cannot match His. But we can utter the same submissive word “nevertheless … (Matt. 26:39)."

It is so easy to ask "why?" right now. But what we actually need to be saying is, "nevertheless." The Lord is humbling His people, including His missionaries. But thousands of years ago He sent us a perfect example. One we can turn to for refuge, hope, strength, love, and all that we feel we lack in a time where "why?" seems like the only word we can utter. I hope our attitude this week reflects our willingness in times of trouble, and not our doubt and resistance in times of distress.

Love and prayers,
Sister Gale
PICS!
1 classic COVID-19 pic w Sis Stillo
2 spiral staircase to our roof
3 find us on floor numba 3
4 our friendly welcomer 
5 rooftop view









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNTDOWN

Εβδομάδα 14: dried watermelon and promising investigators (;

Eβδομάδα 5: "I want to be a verb!"