Εβδομάδα 60: and so it goes

Not really sure how we managed to fill our week but hey, one more week closer to being outta this quarantined missionary life... which I pray is still in our future. At least after April 28th that is since our national quarantine got extended. I think having general conference to look forward to definitely helped to pass time... which I loved btw and, if you haven't watched it, here's the link: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/broadcasts?lang=eng
Now there's no excuse to missing it, truly inspired lemme tell you ;)

It's been a daily back and forth between our apartment and the church. Every time we are out we gotta have our passport and text the government or fill out this fancy form telling them we're either 1) getting food 2) exercising or 3) helping someone. Same ole same ole. Translating videos, making videos, basketball, and these past 2 days re-correcting the updated translation of the Book of Mormon. Not sure if y'all remembered from about 6 months or so ago (probs not), but we got a Greek translation finally published on the gospel library app and it wasn't worth the hype because the missionaries, just amateurs at Greek compared to natives, were finding mistake after mistake. So we split it up, read it all, submitted corrections, and the translation team finally updated it this past week. We looked again and found that Lehi doesn't see his mom in the Tree of life anymore (an original big mistake haha), so that was a relief, but still found there are still lots of little things. So President Anderson had some meeting with the translation team again and we were given 2 days to read it all over again and submit our final corrections. So ya, fun stuff. We all had a lengthy part to read and be nit picky about so the Greek people could get the closest and best translation of the Book of Mormon. Being a part of improving the translation is actually a cool opportunity. It makes me think about Joseph Smith and how incredible it was that he was able to translated everything so perfectly. And here we are in our 3rd copy or this new Greek translation still needing improvements. It's reaffirmed my testimony that there was absolutely no way that Joseph Smith could have done anything without the power of God, it's impossible.

On another subject, ya ever feel like you're living something that the past you about a month ago never would've imagined? I've felt like that's been happening to me just about everyday for the past two weeks. It could be a sign that my perspective is changing, so it's difficult to grasp or measure in my present mindset; or maybe it's just that I have way too much time to think lately courtesy of quarantine life. Guess time will tell. Every time I think that it's tough I remember, "at least it's not just me and literally the entire world is going through a similar if not same thing". It's kinda funny that almost daily I have someone from back home ask me if I'm being sent home yet haha. Still a nope! But Taiwan is now outta the running and its solely Europe holding it out with the foreign missionaries. We're in for the long run here! ;) Till the work is done!

I mean you talk about people on Earth having trust in you and believing that you're gonna get through it, but how about we take it a step further and allow our Heavenly Father into this. I'm definitely not gonna say I know why He let Corona Virus happen for every single person. For one, I'm no sorcerer, and two it's much more powerful when we can get to that realization alone. So little thought on technology. Before my mission my phone usage was more than I'm willing to admit. Fast forward to about 4 weeks ago, I thought that I'd gotten better and stopped using my phone for useless things, and I definitely had, but then our Heavenly Father gave me a great opportunity to have to use my phone for missionary work. That's how we communicate the message. Such as being able to read the Book of Mormon with Jhoe almost every other day this week! I even got to team teach with my cousin James who just returned from his mission in Cebu, Philippines, who served in the exact area where Jhoe is from! Cousin companionship ya buddy ;) They got to talk about that and I found that too big of a coincidence to be a coincidence. He's gonna reach out to the missionaries there to see if they can get in contact with Jhoe's brother and family who are still there. Anyways, it's really cool how much the Lord entrusts us, more or less. But I think it's more like He trusts the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ working in our lives and hopes that we'll be smart and not reject the offer of using our time better. Make sure to remember that the Lord loves you, and that this simple truth can be a divine key to eternal knowledge, when we exercise a little tad bit of faith.

But yeah, going back to the virus...it's kinda really actually super cool how something so big is allowed to happen. For many reasons: it's so very complicated and it's made to be blessing SO many lives in so many different ways, but it's literally the same message, I mean talk about "...for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding." (2 Nephi 31:3) and when you think about it further, it's not very often that something so clear and plain occurs –be it a lesson or a sign for everyone. It's a message that this life is so minuscule. The power of panic can also be good (to a certain point okay) because it causes us to go survival mode –bringing us to the very most important things in life. And if controlled down a little bit, it can refocus our course in life. Cool thing is, that it's always a good time to refocus, but especially when the Lord has chosen to make it so plain and simple.

Remember that crazy dog at our place I was talking bout last week? Well the owners told us that he will hurt or even kill people if they get to close so to be careful. But that he is a nice dog if he knows you. So they told me to give him some treats and not be afraid of him. I don't know whyyy I agreed to this, maybe it's my soft spot for dogs, but I did. The owner was petting it and I knelt down with the treat stretched out in my hand and it was all friendly and all for 2 secs but them straight up almost ripped off my hand and instead barely nipped my fingers and managed to get the treat. Then right back to barking like crazy. Too close of a call. I think I learned my lesson and also need to learn to say no. He isn't getting any more love or treats from me anymore that's for sure.

I remember listening to a motivational message a bit ago where there was a line that went something like this: "Everyone wanna be a beast until it is time to do what beasts do".
That was resurfaced in my mind throughout this week.
Practice is over, and the game is tied up. We are in overtime right now with two options. We can either talk about how we want to do things to be closer to Jesus Christ, or we can DO those things in order to be closer to Jesus Christ.

It is time to do what a beast does.

THIS is the time when men's hearts shall fail them. THIS is the time when their love shall wax cold. THIS is the time when the tares are being shifted out from the wheat. The only question is, who will you be?

Will you be the one who reads their scriptures and worships DESPITE the opposition? Will you serve others EVEN THOUGH the world teaches you to put yourself first? Will you continue to progress NOT IN SPITE OF BUT BECAUSE TIMES ARE HARD?

Just something to think about with all the extra time y'all have now. I love this gospel and know it to be true as I have learned to hear Him throughout my life. Have a blessed week everyone :)

Lots of love,
Sister Gale

ps. our mission put together a video of us reciting The Living Christ in our mission languages (Albanian, Macedonian, and Greek), check it out! I show up at 2.50 & 5.52!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1101497153564589&id=100011129438641?sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=i


PICS!
1-2 "Because of Him" project my friend Sister Savannah Smith is putting together in the England Birmingham Mission!  
3-4 just another tree n Sister Stillo 
5 prep for some comfy General Conferance sessions








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COUNTDOWN

Εβδομάδα 14: dried watermelon and promising investigators (;

Eβδομάδα 5: "I want to be a verb!"